We often over or underestimate what a date should be. A date should be fun and engaging. It's often why a movie and dinner can sometimes be stifling. Every now and then we have to mix it up! Whether you have just started dating or if you’ve been married for 20yrs, learning each other as you grow and experiencing new things can only help to improve your relationship. It helps in communication and in keeping the relationship free of monotony. With that said dating get’s expensive! We need a break from expenses from to time. Here’s our pick for the top 5 budget friendly, and quite unique dates in Philly.
1. A picnic sounds cliche right? But how often have you really enjoyed Philadelphia’s Fairmount Park? Philly has the largest urban park in the nation! There are hidden gems all over the place. You can post up just about anywhere and have it be your very own private oasis, a welcoming escape from the city hustle. Bring a blanket, a bottle of wine, and grab some sandwiches and treats from your favorite eatery. Enjoy!
2. Troll through the cities many trails on a sun filled day while enjoying your partner’s company and awesome conversation, all while burning off some calories. Trails to mention are Wissahickon Valley Park, Schuylkill Bank, and the Manayunk Canal. Though this is just few. For a less amateur hike, try the Benjamin Franklin walkway, cross the bridge from Philly over into Camden. The incline is “Whoa”!
3. Gauge your artsy and explore the iconic Philadelphia Art Museum every Wednesday night from 5pm to 8:45pm, where Admission is pay what you wish. Walk through the galleries, read up on the artist and their work and discuss your interest with your partner.
4. Volunteer! Habitat for Humanity and PhilAbundance have easy sign ups, or join a local soup kitchen. Google Volunteer and I promise the opportunities are endless. You have always been meaning to do something more for your community. You have been saying it, thinking it for years! A date doesn’t have to be glam. Be selfless for the day, help contribute to your community while working with your date! Carving out your Saturday early is perfect for this type of dedication.
5. Host Game Night. Pick a game. You invite your friends. Your boo invites their friends. Though keep it to a minimum because we are on a budget. Tell them to bring the booze. Order 3 to 4 large cheese pizza’s from a local pizzeria who is bound to have a deal on a Friday or Saturday night. Enjoy a night of laughter and bonding with your bae, new friends and old.